Welcome to India!
One of the oldest and most popular drinks in India, is more than just a cup of tea – Chai is an integral part of the rhythm of life.
Masala Chai (masala = spice, chai = tea) is made by boiling black assam tea, spices, milk and water together. Enjoy this beloved drink at home with our Chai Tea Drop and milk of choice!
try this recipe:
1.5 tbsps baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
8 TBS 1/2 cup or 1 cube butter, slightly cold and cut into 1" cubes
1 cup milk of choice
1 egg yolk
1 tsp water
4 tbsps powder sugar
1 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
dash of salt
2. In a stand mixer, mix all dry ingredients together.
3. Add in the cubes of butter.
4. Let dry ingredients + butter mix together until mixture has turned into large chunks.
5. Add cup of Chai Spice milk tea + two eggs.
6. Let mix on medium-speed for 3 min.
7. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until it's 1-1.5" tall.
8. Cut dough into triangle shapes + place on a silicone baking mat on a baking sheet.
9. Combine egg and water to make egg wash by mixing them together with a fork.
10. Brush tops of scones with egg wash.
11. Bake at 275º F for 35-40 minutes, lightly browned on the bottom.
12. Remove from the oven and rest for 5-10 min.
13. Create vanilla glaze with a hand mixer, beating ingredients together.
14. Drizzle over scones — Enjoy!
(Great stored in air-tight container for 3 days!)
Did you know...
Chai stands are often family businesses spanning many generations.
Many Indians associate rail travel with the cries of "chai, chai," from tea sellers carrying kettles along trains and platforms.