Asparagus and Green Onion Quiche
By Mae Chandran, Sashee's mom!
3-4 Servings as Main Dish
Prepping Time: Approx. 25 minutes
Total Baking Time: Approx. 50 minutes
For best results, all ingredients should be at room temperature.
8 oz. asparagus – remove tough ends and cut into 1” pieces (2 cups)
2 green onions – use whole stalk, cutting into 1” pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1½ cup milk
3 oz. (1 cup) cheddar cheese or cheese of choice
1 Prepared “blind bake” 9-inch deep pie shell (instruction below)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Piece bottom of pie shell 3-4 times with fork to prevent dough from puffing up while blind baking. Then line inside pie shell with parchment paper. Fill parchment paper with pie weights or beans. Bake in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Take pie shell out, discard parchment paper and beans (save for next time). Put this “blind bake” pie shell on a rimmed baking tray lined with parchment paper. Leave oven on while you prepare the filling for the quiche.
- In a medium -large skillet, heat the oil. Add the green onion and saute until slightly wilted. (2 minutes)
- Add asparagus pieces and saute under medium high heat until crisp and still green (3-4 min), adding salt and pepper.
- Fill the “blind bake” pie shell with the asparagus mixture. Top with ½ the cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs well and then blend in the milk.
- Slowly pour the egg-milk mixture into the asparagus mixture; top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake the quiche for 15 minutes at 375 degrees and then lower oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 20 – 25 minutes or until quiche is firm or golden brown.
- Take quiche out from oven and let rest 5 -10 minutes before serving.