How To Have A London Staycation
While we find ourselves anxious to travel again, we wonder how we can bring travel to us! One inspiring destination that Tea Drops loves is London. Inspired by our Rose Earl Grey Tea Drops, which has origins in England, we've become a bit obsessed with British culture. Since the eighteenth century, England has been one of the world's largest tea consumers and the British Empire was instrumental in spreading tea from China to India. Tea, which was an upper-class drink in other parts of Europe, was shared across al social classes and has stayed that way. While it is usually served with milk (British style), it is not uncommon to drink it black or with lemon, with sugar being a popular addition to any of the above. Tea is a prominent feature of British culture and society-- even today
London, the capital of England and the United Kingdom, is a 21st-century city with history stretching back to Roman times. At its center stands some of the biggest tourist attractions in the world-- Houses of Parliament, the iconic ‘Big Ben’ clock tower and Westminster Abbey, site of British monarch coronations. Another notable site across the Thames River, the London Eye observation wheel provides panoramic views of the South Bank cultural complex, and the entire city.
Not only is it beautiful, London, rich with history and culture, is also incredibly diverse. There are over 300 languages spoken in London, more than any other city in the world. From the history to the culture and lifestyle, London is a favorite amongst travelers from all over the world and the perfect place to bring into your own home.
Join Tea Drops on the Ultimate London Staycation with some tips on how to turn your home into your next vacation destination.
LONDON STAYCATION NECESSITIES:
- Drink your tea British Style (Don’t Forget The Scones)! To drink your tea British style, add a little cream to it!
- Go outside! One of the must-do’s in London is having a picnic in the park-- venture to your backyard or local park to lunch at a safe distance.
- Don’t have a yard? Sit out on your balcony, set up a comfy corner in your house with plants + flowers and make your own little picnic in your living room!
- Enjoy a dinner and performance from London’s West End.London's West End is home to spectacular shopping streets, a top-notch restaurant scene and a world-famous theatre district. Right now, London allows you to stream performances from the comfort of your own home!
MAKE A COCKTAIL (OR MOCKTAIL IF YOU EXCLUDE THE GIN!):
Rose Earl Grey Gin Martini (Makes 1 Serving):
- 6 tablespoons of Rose Earl Grey
- 1 egg white
- 2 shots of gin (infused with strawberries and rose)
- 1 tablespoon of cream
Shake together in a cocktail shaker, pour into a glass, + enjoy!
Try it with chocolate, too!
HAVE A LONDON FOG
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 Rose Earl Grey Tea Drop
- 1 Cup of Steamed Milk
- Dash of Vanilla Extract
- Honey, or sweetener (if desired, the Tea Drop is already lightly sweetened
- Rose Petals (Optional, but recommended to top your beverage)
To make this London Fog Latte recipe, simply melt a Rose Earl Grey Tea Drop in 2 oz of hot water. Combine melted Rose Earl Grey with some steamed milk, and stir in your desired amount of sweetener (if any) and a dash of vanilla - a warm, comforting, delicious London Fog drink is yours to enjoy!
You can also make it iced + add boba!
See the video here:
MOVIES TO WATCH TO SET THE MOOD + FEEL LIKE YOU’RE IN LONDON
- Bridget Jones’ Diary
- Harry Potter Franchise
- Love Actually
- Notting Hill
- About A Boy
- Mary Poppins
HOW TO LIVE LIKE A LONDON LOCAL EVERYDAY
- Break out your walking shoes. Go outside and walk around your neighborhood or head to the park to take in the outdoors.
- Eat locally. Londoners have a great sense of community! Stop by a local independent coffee shop, or pick up take-out and support a local business!
- Learn the history and explore the city from home. London is one of the oldest cities in the world-- explore it from home via movies or the web!
- Act with kindness, always. Appreciate the community of people and objects around you.
Cheers + enjoy your staycation!