In celebration of our official Sweet Peppermint TeaDrop launch today, we wanted to share some of the interesting facts about Peppermint that we ourselves uncovered as we were developing this flavor. Besides being refreshingly delicious and reminicent of Christmas in a cup, peppermint has a long history of cultivation and has been used in cooking and herbal medicine since about 1500 BC.
Here are our Top 5 Peppermint Facts:
- Peppermint is thought to have originated in Northern Africa and the Mediterranean. In the Ebers Papyrus, an ancient Egyptian medical text dating to 1550 BC, mint is listed as calming to stomach pains. Mint was so valued in Egypt that it was used as a form of currency.
- According to Greek Mythology, Mint (Minthe) was supposedly the river Nymph Hades was trying to cheat on his wife with (nice choice!), but apparently the wife found out and turned Minthe into a lowly mint plant. Supposedly mint got its pungent, sweet smell when Hades softened the spell so that when people walked upon his lover they would smell her sweetness. Can we say, "Awwww"?
- Peppermint was eventually introduced to Europe where it also became a popular culinary and medicinal herb as early as 1240AD. Monks used mint as tooth polisher while cheesemakers used mint to keep rodants out of their stoarge areas.
- Even those without severe stomach troubles can benefit from a cup of peppermint tea after dinner to aid digestion. Peppermint tea has long been thought to have a calming effect that can help to relieve stress and settle the mind before sleep.
- Peppermint also contains high levels of the antioxidant rosmarinic acid. This antioxidant helps fight allergic asthma, atherosclerosis, and cancer
So...calm your senses, relieve your stomach, and enjoy the sweet and refreshing benefits of Peppermint Tea.