Get Involved With Making the World Safer + Cleaner
Though you've been tuning in all week, as we've dished tips, advice, and spread some sad realities about the environment, we thought a few more facts wouldn't hurt, especially, since we'll also be sharing how to get involved!
Across the world there are many countries that lack access to clean water. Up to 70% of people in these communities are living without the 5 gallons of water (per day) that we need to survive. And a huge amount of people (663 million to be more precise) on our planet still lack access to safe, clean drinking water. Imagine having only 5 gallons for everything we use water for in one single day. We shower, cook, clean, drink, wash our hands, and flush the toilet, and so much more!
What we sometimes take for granted is our access to clean water, because as we know, not everyone is that lucky. Waterborne Disease kills more children every year than AIDS, Malaria, and all world violence combined. 88% of all disease in the world is caused by a lack of access to safe, clean water. According to Thirst Project, the water crisis is the equivalent of a jumbo jet crashing every hour and a half on end non-stop 365 days a year.
Here’s what we ask of you and how you can get involved:
- Learn about ways you can conserve water! WaterUseItWisely.com does a great job of sharing over 100 small lifestyle changes you can make to conserve water. See the list here. Besides water conservation, we've also curated a list of ways you can be more eco-conscious with everyday
- Ask your local community leaders or city council about their sustainability division! -- A lot of the time, local groups are looking for volunteers for local events and cleanups. You can also search the internet for local groups, as well! For example, the city of Los Angeles has a whole page dedicated to different resources it provides. You can register for classes and events, join volunteer programs, and their are also cool rebate programs to help you save money on bills. Check it out here.
- Find a non-profit fighting the cause like Thirst Project and donate! -- The money you donate goes directly to those in need! Classy.org curated an awesome list of organizations fighting the global water crisis, including Thirst Project! You can donate straight through the organizations to help!
- Buy from a "give back" company! -- There are so many companies that give back, like Tea Drops! When you make your purchases, try to make them from give back companies that donate to a cause! This is also a good thing to look for when you're giving a gift! RealSimple made a list of gifts that give back, and trust me they're cool! Check them out here.
These are just some of the ways you can get involved! How are you going to join us in taking on the global water crisis?
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.